Thursday, November 10, 2016

Blog Post 7

When I think about how I want to teach and the lessons I want to teach I think of Freire's philosophy on education and the banking method versus teaching for critical thinking. I think as a teacher, based on Freire's insights about how one must teach to expand the students mind and knowledge I would want to do a combination of both. I wish to incorporate both the banking and critical thinking styles of teaching for my future students.
My teaching plan would be to:
First open up the lesson with telling the students what the lesson is about. Say it is a history lesson about World War Two, I would ask the students what they already know and think about World War Two. We would discus this for as long as it takes.
Second, I will teach the facts of the lesson. This includes going over all the memorization parts of the lesson.
Thirdly, I would go back to my first question asking the student what they think about the subject. This time hopefully there is more critical thought to it because there is factual backing to the students thinking.
I think this incorporates the positive aspects of Freire's thoughts, well at least what I gathered from them, but also the much needed factual base of learning. I think this will allow for the students to really think and understand what they learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment